i have promises to keep and miles to go before i sleep – Robert Frost

HI I have found the following process to connect nokia phone modem with linux OS I have tested it in ubuntu. Its working fine.. hope this will help.. special thanks to some one who invented it..

This is how to do it…

Connect your phone via datacable
open terminal & type

lsusb

now u will get the following output

owais@owais-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0421:0445 Nokia Mobile Phones
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:092f Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
owais@owais-desktop:~$

it is on my compter,ur will not be exactly the same…

Now note the line in which NOkia Mobile Phones is written…it has two number one is 0421 & other is 0445…we’ll take these numbers as 0x421 & 0x445

0421 is the Vendor ID & 0445 is the Product ID

Now enter this comand.

sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x(vid) product=0x(pid)

eg, in my case::: sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0×421 product=0×445

Now enter this command

wvdialconf create
u’ll get a long output which will be like

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
Port Scan: S0 S1 S2 S3
WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 19200: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 38400: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 57600: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 115200: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 230400: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 460800: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 — OK
Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
Modem configuration written to create.
ttyACM0: Speed 460800; init “ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0″

NOw.. notice the output says that there is a modem at /dev/ttyACM0 & max speed is 460800

now enter this command

sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

A file will open in text editor…now delete everything in that file & paste the following there

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = Your Modem Name(eg, /dev/ttyACM0 in my case)
Baud = ur max speed(460800 in my case)
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99#
Username = username
Password = password
Stupid Mode = 1

save the file & you are done

NOw whenevr u need to connect…open terminal & type wvdial,,wait till some sort of IP adress is displayed like

pppd: �[06][06][08]` [06][08]
primary DNS address 218.248.240.135
pppd: �[06][06][08]` [06][08]
secondary DNS address 218.248.240.79
pppd: �[06][06][08]` [06][08]

Now you are connected….hit cntrl+c to dissconnect…

U can also create a laucher on desktop(application in terminal) & keep the command as wvdial..now double click it & u r connected

About these ads

Comments on: "Connect your nokia phone with linux without pc suite!!" (66)

1. “some one” ? why don’t you tell what forum you got it from, and who posted it there ? play fair !

2. yaaa….u sud….

3. Thanks a lot.. it works for me..

4. I can’t get it to work. I did all the configuration instructions you gave, and everything worked except that I can’t get any internet at all. I get the following message when connecting, but everything else goes through:

–> Starting pppd at Sat Nov 1 10:40:37 2008
    –> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
    –> –> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
    –> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
    –> –> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.

5. tareqalam said:

I think you should do this as a root user

6. belayetsumon said:

hi dear

i feel little prob

i am try to install cakephp

but i cant

plz help me

7. I get:

FATAL: Error inserting usbserial (/lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko): Invalid argument

How can I get from here on?

8. Do you have a linux version of Nokia PC Suite?

9. help me..i have nokia 6151, i want to connect internet via bluetoooth, but i’m confused. thanks….

10. Dear Tareq Bhai,

Thanks for your post. I have the latest Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10); and you know what? You can connect Nokia phones WITHOUT ANY CONNECTIVITY SOFTWARE OR SETUP.
    Amazing, No?
    I connected the mobile via the USB data cable and was just about to do what you instructed when a pop-up came saying: “Mobile Broadband Internet Modem” connected. Then it automatically showed a wondow with Bangladesh written on it and in the window there were options to select Aktel, Banglalink or Grameenphone.
    I selected Grameenphone, it configured by itself and connected within 5 seconds.
    I really love Ubuntu. It keeps getting better and better.
    And just think, it automatically selects Bangladesh and gives option for GP, BL or Aktel.

So, people, order a Ubuntu 8.10 CD or download and burn it.
    Experience the magic.

11. Dear Tareq Bhai,
    This is not fair. I can’t believe you just deleted my comment. Sis I write anything offensive?

12. what is prob in establishing connection, my mobile is nokia 5220 xpressmusic, fedora 9, and airtel gprs connection it is not a broadband service it apn= airtelgprs.com, network provider= airtel, phone no = *99**1*1#, user and password = blank and process

wvdial.conf
    Phone = *99#
    Username =
    Password =
    Stupid Mode = 1

[root@localhost ~]# lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 174f:5212 Syntek
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Stroage Device
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 13ba:0017
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0421:00f0 Nokia Mobile Phones
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

[root@localhost ~]# /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x421 product=0x0f0

[root@localhost ~]# wvdialconf create
    Editing `create’.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Modem Port Scan: S0 S1 S2 S3
    WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
    ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 19200: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 38400: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 57600: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 115200: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 230400: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 460800: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
    ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 — OK
    WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
    ttyUSB0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyUSB0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 9600 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyUSB0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — and failed too at 115200, giving up.

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
    Modem configuration written to create.
    ttyACM0: Speed 460800; init “ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0″

[root@localhost ~]# wvdial
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Sending: ATDT*99#
    –> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT
    ~[7f]}#@!}!} } }2}#}$@#}!}$}%\}”}&} }*} } g}%~
    –> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    –> Starting pppd at Sun Jan 11 08:46:51 2009
    –> Pid of pppd: 5232
    –> Using interface ppp0
    –> Disconnecting at Sun Jan 11 08:46:56 2009
    –> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
    –> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    –> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pagesfor more information.
    –> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Sending: ATDT*99#
    –> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT
    ~[7f]}#@!}!} } }2}#}$@#}!}$}%\}”}&} }*} } g}%~
    –> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    –> Starting pppd at Sun Jan 11 08:47:03 2009
    –> Pid of pppd: 5249
    –> Using interface ppp0
    –> Disconnecting at Sun Jan 11 08:47:08 2009
    –> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
    –> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    –> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 10 seconds
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.
    ^CCaught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully…
    –> Disconnecting at Sun Jan 11 08:47:09 2009

13. great post! It’s really helpfull! thanks

14. Felix Paul said:

do u kno to do in korean mobiles…..

15. megatronix said:

Everywhere I find posts regarding using the phone as a usb modem,
    Is there a way to access the contents of the phone like message inbox, or the memory, like it could be done on pc suite in windows?

16. in ubuntu 8.10 it is too much easy .. like taking candy from a baby .. just connect your mobile with usb .. and configure just once. .. if the service provider of your mobile is recognized by ubuntu then you can feel the ease of using internet with mobile edge modem

17. do u know to do in ubuntu 9.04??

18. (sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf)
    when i enter this command i get this result
    (gedit:4129): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

plz help

19. Thanks My bro; It worked for me.

Harare, Zimbabwe

20. I am connected; but How do i create the desktop shotcut

21. Not to worry I managed to create the shot cut

22. Partha Nandi said:

Is it working properly in Ubuntu 9.04????

23. it should be automatic in ubuntu 9.04

24. Just connect using bluetooth – that’s it !
    Don’t need to configure/reconfigure so much.

25. MAZHARUL ISLAM said:

Thanks a lot Tareq Alam bhai for this post.

I am damn new in linux, just installed mint-helena. Trying to connect nokia6151 as a bluetooth modem. tried several ways but still no success. also installed gnome-ppp. My modem is not detected yet. Though I can pair it easily and browse files inside mobile set.

I will try your method today.

26. rohit raja said:

i want to connect internet to redhat 5.3 using nokia 5130
    my internet privider id Airtel India
    i fallowed your step but facing problem. plz help me
    thanks

[root@localhost ~]# lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 006: ID 0421:0208 Nokia Mobile Phones
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    [root@localhost ~]# sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x421 product=0x208

[root@localhost ~]# wvdialconf create
    Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyS0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
    ttyS0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — and failed too at 115200, giving up.
    Port Scan: S1 S2 S3
    WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
    ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 19200: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 38400: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 57600: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 115200: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 230400: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Speed 460800: AT — OK
    ttyACM0: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
    ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 — OK
    WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
    ttyUSB0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyUSB0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
    ttyUSB0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — and failed too at 115200, giving up.

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
    Modem configuration written to create.
    ttyACM0: Speed 460800; init “ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0″
    [root@localhost ~]# sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
    sys:1: GtkWarning: gtk_recent_filter_filter: assertion `GTK_IS_RECENT_FILTER (filter)’ failed
    [root@localhost ~]# sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Bound = 460800
    init1 = ATZ
    init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Phone = *99#
    username = username
    password = password
    Stupid Mode = 1

[root@localhost ~]# wvdial
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Sending: ATDT*99#
    –> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT
    ~[7f]}#@!}!} } }2}#}$@#}!}$}%\}”}&} }*} } g}%~
    –> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    –> Starting pppd at Tue Mar 23 19:30:16 2010
    –> pid of pppd: 4241
    –> Using interface ppp0
    –> Disconnecting at Tue Mar 23 19:30:20 2010
    –> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
    –> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    –> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
    –> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.

27. rohit raja said:

the error message comming on my mobile is

28. Excuse me! I’m from Costa Rica! Here in C.R. we don’t have the most of the info about this! Somebody have tried it on Ubuntu 9.04? I haven’t tried it (yet), but if somebody can affirm it, it’s fine to me! My phone is a Nokia 5130 XpressMusic, and I’m connected via PC Suite in (f*ck*ng) WinXp, but if I connect via Ubuntu, I don’t have worry about any viruses! Please somebody help me!

29. pelleci said:

That works fine all right on my 6110 Navigator, but does somebody know how to connect it in order to browse the memory and to transfer data o with ubuntu. Does one really have to have a masters degree in IT and plenty of time to even basicaly use linux. If that is so I’m goin back to Windows and continue to suffer.

30. Shafeeq said:

Thanks Owais… Thanks a lot ..

31. thanks its working

32. S.Robinson said:

if you have a memory card in your phone, just switch it to ‘data storage’ mode and you can access the phone’s memory card. If you’re looking to keep a copy of your address book and such I suggest using wammu.

33. it’s not working in ubuntu 9.10

error:
    wvdial not installed

but i get connected without running this commands

Ubuntu is Improving! ! ! ! !

34. didnt work for me.. It says RESOURSE BUSY ….wat wil i do ..

35. u can restart then try again, and do modprobe before wvdial

36. hellow sir how should i provide the pid and vid for the mobile nokia 6233 or nokia3110c
    please help me.

37. Hi frnds, when i m connecting in pc suite mode , i m getting unrecognized device.
    Please help me

38. is it working in kubuntu10.04??

39. i did with my nokia 7210c supernova deba@ubuntu:~$ sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0*(421) product=0*(17a) and deba@ubuntu:~$ sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0*(421) product=0*(17a) wvdialconf create
    and in both cases got invalid argument whatis he problem,did it root user

40. deba@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0421:017a Nokia Mobile Phones

41. kumaarasaamy said:

The third command is wvdialconf create. This command can not search my modem. i.e. nokia 5130 It says that it is invalid
    please help me

42. nithin reddy said:

i want to connect internet to fedora using nokia 5130
    my internet privider is tata docomo
    please tel me how to connect to internet with usb cable

43. Tareq vai ,
    i m facing a problem like that its connected, getting its ip and get connected. But i couldn’t browse through my Browser konquer. sometimes it say protocol not supported. but most of the time it say host unresolved .. .

Please help me..

44. I want to connect internet to RHEL5 using nokia 5130 my internet provider is TATA.DOCOMO
    its connecting but getting error on my mobile “subscribe packet data first” please help me to resolve this issue…

45. Ankit..... said:

Tareq bhai maine internet connect kar liya hai aapke bataye huay tariqe se lekin jab mai mozilla khol raha hoo to page error de raha hai ,so please ye bataye ki main mozilla main ip address kaise set karu.. Please
    “salam-walekoom”.

46. naresh patidar said:

sandeep
    if you are using 10.4 or 11.4 . connect your phone and click on network symbol placed besides shutdown , go to edit connections , goto mobile broadband and click on “add”
    follow the remaining steps and you will be connected directly.

47. thanks! it works for me although i initially received ..PPP died.. message, i used qinternet( installed it from repository ) and “right-clik qinternet>Settings>Configure with Yast2>then select modem (make sure to have the nokia phone connected by usb) dial number for me is *99#, make your own provider; try to connect, if it connects, disconnect and start konsole, type wvdial and look for primary dns and secondary dns remember them, then right-clik qinternet>Settings>Configure with Yast2>then select modem (make sure to have the nokia phone connected by usb) and copy the primary and seconday dns. after doing that try to connect and give a feed-back

48. how can we change the access point of the connection??

49. hey,
    i have just installed redhat linux 9.0 on my system. Can u tell me how to connet to internet using nokia 2690.
    At the beigning when i started linux, message was displayed to configure it. I don’t know but i just had to click on ‘configure’, there no options for setting.
    When i tried to add new network connection using wizard error waz ‘no modem found on your system’. What to do now?

Isusb in terminal shows no result.

50. Irfan Akram said:

This is good work . I shall try it on fedora . Thank you . Allah hafiz

51. Assalamlekum Tareq bhai!!!!!!!!!
    i have usb-modem and after seeing its VID or PID through lsusb. i successfully run modprobe but when i run wvdial create and i follow these steps it is showing error like:-

[root@server ~]# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 19d2:1007 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    [root@server ~]# modprobe usbserial vendor=1x9d2 product=1×007
    [root@server ~]# echo $?
    [root@server ~]# wvdialconf create
    Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyS0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
    ttyS0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — and failed too at 115200, giving up.
    ttyS1: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
    ttyS1: ATQ0 V1 E1 — failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
    ttyS1: ATQ0 V1 E1 — and failed too at 115200, giving up.
    Port Scan: S2 S3

Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?
    Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wvdial/

If you still have problems, send mail to wvdial-list@lists.nit.ca.

So plz tellme what is the solution.i am waitng ur valuable reply

52. I am trying to do this with a Nokia C5-00 but wvdial does not recognize my phone

53. An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought to write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but typically people don’t discuss such subjects. To the next! All the best!!

54. “wvdialconf create” is not working my os is fedora 18 and i using nokia 2690

55. mwanorim norif said:

please i will like this link fowarded to my email so that i can open my nokia e7 without nokia pc suite .Thanks

56. Nitin Bansal said:

hi sir ,,
    when i run lsusb output came, then after this when i run sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x(vid) product=0x(pid) then errot came “Fatal : error insreting usbserial (/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-genric/kernal/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko): invalid argument”

also wvdialconf create command is not working. wvdialconf is not installed

pls help me as soon as posible ..

thanx & regards
    Nitin Bansal

57. Igor Komarnitski said:

Ubuntu 12.10 + Nokia C5-00 it works. Thanks a lot.

58. I went to Windows 8 because Linux only offered sync via Thunderbird+Lightning+Funambol cloud or Evolution+Syncevolution+Funambol. As my internet service is unreliable over 3.5G, I needed a USB cable. To sync contacts, notes, tasks and calendar. Media files and docs not important as I can do those as mass storage anyhow.

Phones in use are iPhone 5, Nokia E63 and C6.

Another Windows 8 issue is not being able to set up a wifi hotspot, not even with the bundled app. My son and I sat for two hours last night and didn’t get it right; even took photos with the iPhone of support pages as one cannot switch between Windows so easily. I booted from Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon earlier the evening, set up a wireless hotspot and started browsing with two phones under a minute! The Hell of Gates is a terrible place to be in. If only Mint could offer me USB or even Bluetooth/wireless sync on my phone.

59. Hi,

I think I have a problem, but I do not see any login and password to.

####@dharmaNomade ~ $ sudo wvdial
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    –> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
    –> Configuration does not specify a valid password.
    ####@dharmaNomade ~ $

and I do not know what to do next :/

60. Satwinder singh said:

Hello

61. how to connect nokia 5130 wd pc via cable the eror is no modm found??

62. How to use whats app on the ubuntu 13.10?

63. RaghuKisore said:

Hi,
    Nice article but i try to follow your instructions on fedora 15 and i am having issues. Here are my questions.
    1. the dmesg, lsusb and modeprobe usbserial all seem to work fine. I mean i get ouput similar to what you have shown in the article
    but 3 ports are shown after i connect my Nokia Lumina 520 /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1 and /dev/ttyUSB1. I am not sure why this is happening?
    2. I am able to see my data card and its contents. I assume i need to do a usb_modeswitch. but when i try to do it the output is just the help mannual for this command. Do i need to execute this command from a specific directory?
    3. setserial command simply says cannot find modem? don’t know why?
    4.wvdialconf create throws up a whole lot of error messages and finally says
    WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
    Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?
    Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please kindly provide some insight into why it is not working.
    regards
    Raghu.

64. latest ubuntu dont need these things, it should be just plug and play when you connect your phone.
    to be honest not sure whyou you get this problem, will write to you if I find any solution.
    thanks